How to improve online operations with the right packaging
E-commerce has grown significantly since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, as customers and businesses have adapted to the new restrictions throughout national lockdowns.
Online sales increased by 46.1% last year compared to 2019, the highest annual growth recorded in more than a decade, according to the ONS.
At the same time, however, overall retail sales decreased by 1.9%, the largest annual decline since 1997.
The high street has been struggling for some time now, but the pandemic has intensified its problems, leading many businesses to the brink of collapse. As more and more companies rely on online sales for profit, a consistent fulfillment and delivery strategy is key to meeting increasing demand.
Reviewing your packaging is a great place to start.
Below we look at solutions for click & collect and home delivery.
Packaging for Click & Collect
According to the IMRG’s Weekly Retail Data Show #48, 87% of retailers offer Click & Collect. This is a convenient option that benefits both businesses and their customers. It helps reduce the number of journeys required to fulfill orders, cuts costs and enables retailers to pass on savings to their customers.
Suitable e-commerce packaging is important to ensure products are safely transported to collection points as items may travel from a larger distribution centre to a store or click and collect locker. Compact parcels that offer a good fit for your products will enhance customer experience, reduce packaging waste and take up less storage space. Also consider:
- Making your parcel easy for customers to carry
- Adding an extra peel and seal closure for easy returns
- Consolidating your packaging range to ensure customers are not struggling to carry multiple packages
- Custom printing your packaging to increase brand awareness and visual appearance of your parcels
Packaging for home deliveries
When it comes to home deliveries, product safety is paramount. Broken goods will upset your customers, which can potentially damage your brand reputation. You will also incur additional costs for your business in processing and issuing returns.
The appearance of your packages is also important because it affects how customers perceive your brand. Consider the following:
- Parcels should be neatly presented and compact
- Choose environmentally friendly packaging to improve customer experience and show your concern for the planet
- Do not overpack to prevent parcels from bursting in transit or leaving customers with excess packaging for disposal
- Add a tear strip to make it easier for customers to open their package
- Make sure your packaging is suitable for returns
- Use boxes with a crash-lock base. They can be stored flat and are quick and easy to put together when needed.
- Switch to paper tape – it improves the appearance of your parcels, is a great tamper-evident solution and does not need to be removed from the box before recycling.
At Macfarlane Packaging we can offer a wide range of stock and custom-made e-commerce packaging solutions for click & collect and home deliveries. Contact us today to discuss your requirements.
Other Blog Articles you might like…
5 quick wins to remove plastic from your business